Hedge Mustard or Khubkala belongs to the family of Brassicaceae. In India this plant generally found in Rajasthan, Uttar pradesh, kashmir, punjab and haryana. Hedge Mustard plant blooms in July and August. This plant is used for treating cough, asthma, loss of voice, fever, chest congestion etc. This plant is also known as singer plant because of its use in treating loss in voice. Hedge Mustard have a bitter flavour and they are used in salads or cooked as a vegetable. they are rich in protein, vitamin c, fiber and mineral. It is found on roadside and wasteland, and as a weed of arable land. Khubkala seeds contain glycosides which act on contractile force of the cardiac muscles and are mostly used in the treatment of cardiac failure.
Uses and Effectiveness
- It helps in urinary tract diseases
- It helps in treating coughs
- It helps in swelling of the gallbladder
- It helps in detoxification of liver
The appropriate dosage of khubkala depends on various factor such as user's health, age and several other conditions.
- A herbal tea can be made by using 50 gm of fresh herb in 1 liter of water.
- Leaves of khubkala can be used in seeds and garnishing.
- khubkala seeds with leaves of kaasni can be used in treating diarrhea.
- The decoction of seeds can be given in smallpox.